Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Disclaimerz For Realz

Disclaimer*:  I can’t promise to be 100% professional.  This blog is (pretty much) a first try.  The first time I was standing outside my library thinking, “I’m an upper-middle class, sheltered white girl from Yankee territory…what the hell am I doing here?”, I almost simultaneously thought, “Dude, I should blog.”  Took me another fortnight to actually make the slightly-buzzed impulse purchase of my life (current laptop), but I think (and hope) that it’s all for the best.  I am going to try my best to not bitch about the job, which I’ve only done once (no, really!) in my six weeks so far, or keep it strictly professional – let’s face it, my train of thought usually involves at least two different engines attached to at least two different…uh., trains, but this is my chance to grow as a professional and a human being on this completely crazy path I’ve found myself travelling.

Real Disclaimer:  Again, I can’t promise to be 100% professional. More importantly, I can’t promise to be entertaining, but I’m going to try.  I’ll admit, I’m in over my head.**  I did none of the research I claimed I did in my interview.  I’m taking the theory I’m learning in school and melding it with the common sense and experience I’ve learned from 28 years of life and the years I’ve spent managing food service.  Cut me some freakin’ slack.  I’m a human being, dammit.  Oh, and I curse a lot in my head.  Most likely some of that will come out, especially if I don’t proofread.***/**** However comma I am going to try to relate the basic life of a prison librarian, what I learn, and possibly (not too likely until I get comfy with it) activate a little bit.

~~~
*They're posted, published, and therefore law.  You don't like it, tough.  Raised by lawyers, family to lawyers, and worked for a litigator.  Disclaimer's here to stay.  Sue at your own risk.  (I know the difference between slander and libel and which holds up in court...Also, I have about 50 bucks, another 3 dollars in my wallet, and quite a lot of first editions that are worth, well, nothing yet.  It's your dime; start talkin'.)
**My Mother, at least, will be glad to know that all those swimming lessons I spent treading water have not gone to waste even though I’ve never been shipwrecked.
***I hate proofreading.  Barely ever follow through with it.
****Is there a way to do footnotes in Blogger?  I'm a Classicist by nature and training, people, we build 50-year long careers (and tenure) on footnotes and asterisks are awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment