Monday, December 12, 2011

O.M.G. Stuff!

I don't know whether to tell y'all all the things in Hyperbole And A Half-speak* (which I was addicted to a week ago) or Anthony Bourdain No Reservations-speak (which I'm addicted to now).

Honestly, the best I can do is cuss and say, On Man, all about puttin' out fires.

First of all, I really hate how blogsspot makes me search, sometimes in vain, for those enters I constantly enter.  I mean, I hit "enter" twice to start a new paragraph...why do I have to involve arrow keys?  Unfortunately, I'm not famous enough to branch out on my own, so I'll have to deal with it and love it.

(Two enters and some down keys later).  This past week has been KA-RAZY (misspellings and hypens don't do it justice)!  To begin, I received my first ever book order.  That's right, my peeps, I received over 130 books.  Magically.  Possibly in the mail.  It was unexpected and overwhelming and, above all, amazing.  My guys haven't had any new books, other than half-read things donated by other institutions, for over 6 months now.  My employees are totally stoked.  I can't wait to see how my Patron react.  Probably with complaints and requests, but whatever.  My Guys come in, see the books, peruse for waaaay longer than my CO likes, get chased out, then start post-it-ing their names all over the books.  HAPPY EMPLOYEES MAKE HAPPY PATRONS.

And the company that we deal with for book sent the cataloging software on Friday.  Which means I'll be cataloging the other, say, 100 books on my own.  Hope My Guys don't want their books anytime soon... (buggering third parties.)

Also, we, as a Department, have completely revamped the legal database.  Basically, for those of my (very few) loyal readers that understand this semi-technical crap, we have switched from LexisNexis to WestLaw for (online-ish) legal research.  To be honest, I loathe both.  I would never use either ever (I have family for this kind of thing), but whatever.  It the cheaper, and supposedly better, contract that we got.

In a nutshell, what it meant for me was a week and a half of scrambling around, receiving orders, trying to coordinate with the Idiot who A) wouldn't take my calls, and B) had an only slightly better idea of what was going on (we had a tech come out to test the brand new not-dial-up line...got about 4 hours notice - because the tech called ahead - the Idiot had no idea anything was happening).  It all culminated in me being Ultimately and Awesomely Prepared on most levels, and being all Uhhh...What when my Boss-Boss asked me one simple question.  Strange but Awesome! people in my library, me not eating for nearly 24 hours, LOTS of list-making-and-checking-and-double-checking-and-more-list-making, and talking Dr. Who and anime with "The Girls".  Talk about Stressed Out Awesome Fun Time Leaving Me With Terrible, Terrible Bruises (the old server must have weighed a good 80 pounds and I had to tetris the guy's trunk for him...the other server weighed around 60).  Worth it on a professional and personal level...except that I hate my law clerk and now have to "train" him on WestLaw and he knows we can print now.   (I had continued the fiction that we couldn't only because I don't want to deal with it.  Where is S.?  Why doesn't he come back to me?  He's so much better than O.)

Anyway, last week was crazy.  This week I'm going to have to call a bunch of people, catalog way too many books, glue WAY to many books together, COVER ALL OF THE BOOKS (let me know if this link doesn't work correctly), put together a Book List, mentally restructure my library, fend my law clerk off with a stick, hire two more guys, somehow cultivate the level of service I'm used to (got two guys who are awesome, one guy who didn't realize he was getting paid, and, well, suck-tards) and, generally, just want to shut everything out and do USA Today crossword puzzles and Sudokus, and, oh, Thursday is the 15th, which means making a lot of lists and filling out forms and somehow finding volunteers to venture into The Hole (even though they're allowed to leave).

Gods, I love this job.

P.S.  Oh, and CO Guy has finally stopped hitting on me.   We're still "good friends" apparently...?

 ~~~
*Hyperbole and a Half is the best comic-blog evar that you could possibly read or find online.  Click the link, any of then, and start from the beginning.  If you start from the beginning, you will come to fully appreciate how awesome both Girl and Blog are.  Trust me on this.  I'm addicted on an Intervention-type level.  ("Hi, I'm KP and I'm 29 and I've been reading Hyperbole and a Half for 3 years...")

No comments:

Post a Comment