Thursday, November 3, 2011

Puttin' Out Fires and Gettin' Shit Done...Mostly

Wow, I owe you guys a lot.  Not that anyone really reads this, but I still owe you.

Okay, FIRST (that looks awkward in all caps), based on my previous post, Correction Officer (hereby referred to as CO Guy), gave me his cell number the other day.  Luckily he hasn't asked why I haven't called.  Honestly, I really hope he does so I can put him in his place/teach him a lesson about asking whether or not Ladies have Significant Others before not-so-bluntly "asking them out" (pretty sure he was angling for me to move in with him...not sure, won't judge...yet).

Also, WOW has a LOT been going on since I last posted.  I've met all of the other DOC Librarians.  They mostly say the same thing (when the Veterans aren't talking about retirement...Transfer Opportunities!), this job is all about Putting Out Fires and finding the time to Get Shit Done.  I've asked my Employees (don't like to think of them as "Offender Workers"...except the one that pisses me off constantly) and they say I spend way too much time holed up in my office.  I'm trying to Get Shit Done!  And, of course, when I'm actually being productive, M -- we all blame him for everything that goes wrong, but he has an excellent sense of humor and is the only Employee that can tell I Can't Be Bothered Right Now -- is in my office every five minutes telling me in great detail the problem (VERY helpful, that attention to detail) and then asking if I need help/constantly checking up on me.  Good show, that.

Honestly, I'm pretty much forbidden to play favorites, but certain others from my past know how much I can rely on a Number 1.  M is my Number 1 for this job.  I will be very sad to lose him and his friend at the end of the month -- M not only does all the dirty work I don't want to do, but is Ecstatic to do it (I'm actually considering offering him a Letter of Rec should he ever get a real job on the outside) -- and I really don't want to see him come back, but I do want to see him come back.  Because he does so much I don't want to do and I'm lazy and have lots of lists to write.

Coincidentally, I mentioned to my Real Boss that half this job was list-writing.  Her response was a stressed, melodramatic sigh.  That's cool.  I love lists.  I'm closet OCD.

Also, I'm giving CO Guy a week (my personal CO won't be here then, so CO Guy will feel Free And Clear) before he asks why I haven't called him.  Man, I have so many snappy comebacks planned, he'll probably be even more impressed and start comin' round more often.

OH!  And, most importantly, in the past month and some, got my Budget approved (not hard here), placed all my purchase orders, got my miscellaneous funds spending approved (might have to spend more of that in the next week), placed all THOSE purchase orders, repaired a bunch of books my library doesn't even own, did a Good Deed, interacted will a lot of Offenders that love the Library (rawk on!), and mostly completed the Major Task (Inventory...dun dun duuuuuhn) that should have been completely completed last month.  Oh, and got the heat fixed so that it works too well now and everyone complains.

It's been a good, busy month. *grin*

No comments:

Post a Comment