Thursday, August 30, 2012

What I've Been Reading Lately

First!  Good thing I'm going to St. Louis tomorrow.  I'll be able to experience Tropical Depression Isaac for twice as long as anyone I know!  Whoo!  /sarcasm

Well, when I actually socialize (not often, granted, but it happens), I get a lot of "so, read anything good lately?"  WELL.  I've been "in-house reviewing" a lot of books this week.  And this one just wrote its own review in my head while I was driving home tonight (not great, but totally accurate):

Waking with Enemies
Eric Jerome Dickey
978-0-451-22274-9 (yes I remember the ISBN 4 hours later)

Pretend you are out to eat at a fast food joint.  Imagine a French fry.  Imagine a side of ketchup (or cheese or ranch or whatever, but I like ketchup). Imagine how a French fry exists to bring the ketchup to your mouth. 

Now pretend that you are reading Waking with Enemies by Eric Jerome Dickey.  The plot, Gideon, a professional hit man salted with the rage of a traumatic childhood is on the run from retribution for his last hit, is the French fry.  The sex, frequent and graphic – he is something of an international man of mystery, after all – is the ketchup.  Plot and sex, French fry and ketchup, complete a recipe for a perfect bite of non-cerebral bliss.  

Only imagine there’s no French fry.

I held on, oh I held on for over 200 pages, waiting for the plot to get started; and it must be a good one to be this late in coming, right?  Nope.  In addition, most of the time the reader can’t tell which character is speaking.  Is it Gideon?  One of the two women he liaises with every chance he gets?  The man out to kill him?  The characterization is so bland and the dialogue so quick, yet banal, there’s no point in trying to figure it out anyway.  There are a couple of good action scenes late in the book, and a couple of minor, predictable twists.  However, these slightly brighter points only shine the light on the sole purpose of this book:  a vehicle for the author to vicariously live a James Bond-like life of beautiful women, expensive restaurants, underground contacts, danger, and, most of all, lots of descriptive sex.  

Verdict: Only pick this one up if you're dying for punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment