Friday, July 27, 2012

It Ain't Braggin' If Y'Really Done It

So...

I attended a workshop today at the local library hub.  A workshop on branch management.  I didn't learn exactly what I wanted to learn (the dynamics of how branches and hubs worked both separately and together), but since I didn't figure that out until three-quarters of the way through the workshop, I really have no cause for complaints.  To remedy this, I can always take the workshop again OR contact the really awesome connect I made, the Manager of the hub library who singled me out afterwards, gave me her card, and told me to contact me for anything I might want to know.  Truly awesome lady.  She's even checked out books to me a coupla times.  Anyway...

Of course, talking to the other librarians was more worth the freeness of the workshop than the lecture.  I met so many equally crazy and interesting librarians.  And, apparently, I worked it so that I was the zoo animal of the group.  I work at a prison.  They were all clamoring to meet me and ask me questions and find out what I do.  And since I'm much better at answering questions than lecturing (although I'm working on this), it suited me perfectly.  Hahaha...the one Librarian, "B", listened to some of my stories and said, "I'm not complaining ever again."  And I replied with, "I don't have to worry about a budget.  I can't even imagine how you guys handle that."  And she gave me a look like Holy Balls and said, "Maybe I should look into this prison librarian thing..."  HA!

While talking to another Librarian, "A", I realized just how much I've accomplished at my library.  I'm very good with questions I'm not used to and I've been working at my place for over a year, so I know it inside and out.  And A asked some very, very good leading questions.  While talking at her (because, I regret to say, I was not talking with her), it all came to me in a flash that I have:
  • networked with the school, Drug Treatment (DTP), mental health, the chapel, and the caseworkers (varying degrees of success, but there was success),
  • augmented the Library's services to supplement DTP's treatment,
  • printed, organized, and made accessible to patrons all re-entry materials available, for research and photocopying,
  • created pathfinders to aid with the locating of information on education, employment, drug treatment on the outside, parenting, etc., 
  • reached out to DTP so that they know the Library is a resource that can be used, including having counselors contact me to find out if we have specific books and, if not, can I get them from another institution, AND
  • preliminary work on establishing a better (or any) InterLibrary Loan system between the Department of Correction libraries.  (I am seriously working on this, just the opportunity doesn't present itself often.  And I WANT/NEED/HAVE to head up the committee proposed back in January, if it's ever established.)
And this is all on top of trying to get my collection where it needs to be.  Currently, it's at 55%/45% with very strong representations in the wrong places when it should be 65%/35% with equal distribution.  And, since my collection development class taught me exactly nothing except "know the population you're serving", I'm having to teach myself collection development.

I was slightly ashamed myself when I caught myself talking only about what I've done for the past, oh, six months.  It almost sounded like I was bragging.  But then (as I continued speaking), I realized, I'm not bragging.  She asked, I answered honestly.  Besides as Lee Adler said*, "It ain't braggin' if y'really done it."  I sincerely hope I can post the same thing in 12 months' time.

~~~
*If you haven't read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, it's required reading.  Kind of a local color/true murder mystery.  FANTASTIC.  In my top 5 bar none.  That reminds me...I haven't read it yet this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment