Thursday, April 4, 2013

FRIDAY Follow Up (Finally)

 Hooray for updates!

Okay, I know FRIDAY was two months ago, but I'm still reeling (sorta).

FRIDAY wasn't really that bad.  What was awesome was that I got a ton (standard) of books for myself during recon and a metric ton of books for my library because I was the only one who knew the layout and I could zero in on the popular authors and, basically (but not proud of it, sorta) sweep the shelves.

In all, MODOC took over 5000 books out of that bookstore.  I, personally, brought over 900 into my library.  Got rid of over half almost immediately (thank the gods).  Still have 300 left to process (long story)(wait...not really).  Let me tell you this: We ran out of boxes, so I had to go home, unload ALL the books I had packed up, and truck it back to the store and donate the boxes to the other libraries.  Then I had to act like I actually go out once in a while and lead the Convoy to the "Mexican" restaurant. 

Anyway, FRIDAY was over.  Is.  Whatever.

The following days were a mass of confusion, organizing, more confusion, more organizing, reorganizing, list-making, MOAR list-making, and frantically entering the "new" books into the system, processing them, and attempting to figure out a way to integrate them into the library. 

Then I ran out of book pockets.

For all of you accustomed to relatively old-school libraries.  The cards in the back of the books that the librarians stamped and put into a filing system go into the pockets in the backs of the books.  Barcodes and keyring library cards (and updated LIS's) that you know from your current awesome public library....well, my library literally can't be state-of-the-art...so let's say that those old-timey book pockets are kinda essential.  So I was down to 5.  Pockets, that is.  Holy Balls.

Then I got sick for a week (not a big deal, but...).  And while I was sick, I received my quarterly Book Order.  So now I have over 300 "new" books in my office and 175 (we counted) seriously New Books that can't be entered or read until I have new pockets.  Can I get a collective "Buggrit"?  Oh, and did I mention that my business manager retired and now neither I nor his temporary replacement have any idea what's going on?

And National Library Week is coming up.  I'm totally not prepared at all.  But I will be next year, dammit!  More on that in, what? Two months? ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment