Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Anniversary

Eine Jahre.  Un Ano.  Ena chronia. Um ano. Unus annus.  One year.

I have been a Prison Librarian for one full year.  Today.  Holy balls, where does the time go?

I mean this day (I thought it was Friday until I realized it was Wednesday), this week, these past three months, have lasted for-ev-er.  But a year?  Damn!  And I still feel like I'm just getting my feet wet while hitting the ground running every day.  Hells Bells, I've been cleaning out my office for the past two days.  As in getting rid of things my predecessor had stockpiled but never used.  After a year.

Product of the Past Year:  I'm a damned better librarian (not that my program actually teaches anybody about serious career-ship); I have gained a life-saving, yet limiting, understanding of stats; I have taught myself to repair any book given basic glue, book tape, scotch tape, a glue gun, and shirt cardboard; attempted to consistently reign in my temper when my workers are seriously annoying (losing battle, might have to fire some people); and learned the most basic of basic cataloging.  And I have a Year of Experience.  Oh, and collection development.  Almost a full-time job on its own.

Goals for the Next Year:   Learn how to do conduct violations/fire people (to save my already precarious sanity). Get better at conduct violations/firing people.  Finally get a book order approved in time to get ALL the back-ordered books before the Business Manager tells me he won't pay for them anymore (99% not my fault...I mostly dislike Central Office on  this).  Try to get The Newsletter, which I've been hounded and badgered and other animal-ed about, up and running and not stupid AFTER my most annoying employee leaves.

Lots of goals.  And I really don't want to do the newsletter.  But hey, I've survived a year!  And with only one Seriously Awkward Occurrence!

No comments:

Post a Comment